The following reports have been taken from the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) Website, click on the photo to view the full official report on the AAIU web site. Where the is no photograph the report can be accessed by clicking on the icon. The extracts below only contain the AAIU synopsis to each incident / accident
Records 491 to 500 of 500

HB-INW, McDonnel Douglas MD-82, Crossair

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-12-19

Report No: 1998-011 , Published: 1998-09-04

Image by: Propfreak

The pilot stated that on reaching FL 370 there was a loss of cabin pressure control, as they approached the STRUMBLE VOR. The crew attempted to regain control by placing the pressurisation system in manual mode. This was unsuccessful and, as the cabin altitude was climbing rapidly, an emergency descent was commenced in accordance with the Operating Company's Flight Crew Emergency Checklist. In the descent, at FL 220, cabin pressurisation was stabilised and the cabin control system responded to normal control inputs.

EI-COF, BAe 146-200, Cityjet

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-11-24

Report No: 1998-010, Published: 1998-08-07

Image by: Ola Carlsson

On 24 November 1997, EI-COF departed Dublin for London City Airport at 1930 hours. A strong smell of fumes was noticed by all the crew during take-off and initial climb out, which became worse as the flight progressed. (On an earlier sector the same fumes were noted but they quickly dissipated).

G-SFHR, Piper PA23, Private

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-11-15

Report No: 1998-009 , Published: 1998-07-24

Image by: N/A

The aircraft departed Shannon Airport at 1245 hrs on the day of the incident, bound for Galway Airport. At 1324 hrs the initial attempt to land at Galway on Runway 08 was made. After a number of bounces the pilot abandoned the landing and initiated a go-around. The second landing attempt on the same runway was successful, but took about almost the full length of the runway, which is 1334 metres long, and 23 metres wide. The tower observed that the aircraft almost ran off the runway. In response to a call from the tower, the pilot replied that all was OK.

G-HAUG, Sikorsky S-76B, Norbrook Industries

Incident/Accident Date: 1996-12-12

Report No: 1998-008, Published: 1998-06-26

Image by: N/A

G-HAUG departed Belfast International - Aldergrove Airport on 12 December at 18.03 hrs, to return to its home base at Ballyedmond, Co. Down, Northern Ireland. This would normally be a flight of some 20 minutes duration. The approach to the home base was executed using a locally produced GPS-based approach procedure. Having commenced its descent, in preparation for landing at Ballyedmond, the helicopter struck the north face of the Carlingford Mountains at 960 feet above sea level, approximately 2 miles SE of the village of Omeath, Co. Louth, at 18.16 hrs. All three occupants suffered fatal injuries.

29000 & N/A, B747 (Air Force 1) and B747, USAF and UPS

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-05-27

Report No: 1998-006, Published: 1998-06-12

Image by: Sam Chui

The Boeing 747 USAF 1 was routing from the United States to Paris at flight level 290. The Boeing 747 UPS 6080 was routing from Europe to the United States at flight level 310. The position 53N 15W, is one of the entry/exit points from the Shannon Upper Information Region (UIR) to oceanic airspace.

86512, Ilyushin IL-62M, Aeroflot

Incident/Accident Date: 1996-09-14

Report No: 1998-005, Published: 1998-05-28

Image by: TFS/team

On 13th. September 1996 an Ilyushin IL-62M aircraft of Aeroflot, Russian International Airlines, callsign AFL328, (hereafter referred to as 328), departed Chicago O'Hare Airport for a scheduled flight to Shannon Airport. As it came into Shannon controlled airspace 328 was cleared directly to the airfield where the Approach Radar Controller gave the aircraft radar vectors to enable it to carry out an Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach to Runway (Rwy) 24. The winds were light South-easterly, with visibility varying between 800 metres and 1600 metres. This ILS approach was unsuccessful and at approximately 200 feet agl the pilot decided to go- around again. Members of the public residing in the Clenagh area observed the aircraft during this go-around manoeuvre. The aircraft then carried out a second and successful approach and landing to Rwy 24. Following a crew change the aircraft continued on its journey to Moscow.

G-BEYO, Piper PA 28-140, Private

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-06-13

Report No: 1998-004, Published: 1998-04-24

Image by: Mick Bajcar

The aircraft was flown from Scotland to Belfast City Airport, where it overnighted on the 12th. June. The next day the pilot filed a VFR flight plan South along the coast towards Dublin, intending to participate in an Air Rally at Kilkenny Airport, scheduled for that weekend. The pilot closed his flight plan with Dublin ATC overhead Brittas Bay Aerodrome, Co. Wicklow, at 1041 hours. He then decided to land there as he was unhappy with the low clouds over 0 the mountains westwards on his route to Kilkenny. He made no ATC contact on the local frequency as it was unmanned at the time. The operator of the aerodrome did not receive any prior notification of the flight. Following a visual check of the airfield windsock the pilot decided to land on Runway 25 (540m). On finals he applied full flap and, on landing, the aircraft bounced a few times and, as soon as he realised that he was in fact downwind, and that his stopping distance was too short, he applied full power to go-around again. This action was too late and the undercarriage main wheels struck the aerodrome's clearly marked perimeter fence, then struck a solid mud bank and cut through a second sheep restraining fence, finally coming to a halt in an unused rough area of the adjacent golf course. Fuel leaked onto the cockpit floor. There was no fire. The pilot and passenger, who were wearing lifejackets and each secured by a five-point safety harness, exited the aircraft uninjured.

EI-BLB, Stampe SV4C, Private

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-06-01

Report No: 1998-003, Published: 1998-03-20

Image by: N/A

EI-BLB departed Sligo Airport on the afternoon of Sunday 1st. June 1997, having taken part in a fly-in at Sligo Airport on the previous day. On board were the pilot and a passenger. In the company of some other aircraft it landed at a private field which was owned by the passenger and which was intended for use as a future private airfield. As far as can be established four other aircraft landed at this field at Meera, Carrick-on-Shannon, with EI-BLB. All the aircraft took off to over fly the town of Carrick-on-Shannon as part of a festival organised by the Chamber of Commerce. EI-BLB again had the pilot and passenger on board and carried out some aerobatics near Carrick-on-Shannon, returned and landed at the private field at Meera. After a late lunch in an hotel in Carrick-on-Shannon, EI-BLB departed this time with the pilot solo to return from Meera to Abbeyshrule Airfield. EI-BLB followed the line of the Shannon River from Carrick-on-Shannon Southwards. EI-BLB was seen by several eye-witnesses flying at very low level following the line feature of the Jamestown Canal. As the aircraft approached the Albert Lock on the Jamestown Canal it struck power lines which stretched across the Canal. EI-BLB was seen to bank to the left and dive steeply into a small field where it came to rest with the engine and fuselage separated. The pilot was fatally injured.

G-OBMD, Boeing 737-33A, British Midland

Incident/Accident Date: 1997-01-18

Report No: 1998-002, Published: 1998-02-20

Image by: Frank Schaefer

As G-OBMD commenced passenger disembarkation at Stand 33 the ground maintenance engineer said that he noticed smoke coming from the point where the ground power lead connects to the aircraft. This was followed by a number of flashes (of flame). He immediately went to alert the aircraft Captain and staff. Cabin Crew No. 1 used her own initiative and ordered an evacuation as she understood that it was a serious fire. In addition to using the forward exit onto the airbridge some passengers exited via the overwing emergency doors and down the chute at the rear passenger door also. The evacuation was completed quickly and without incident. The ground power lead at Stand 33, which is fixed in a ground power pit, was removed for examination. It was found that one of the two fixing bolts connected through the ground power plug had shorted across 2 phases (A & B phases), apparently as a result of damage caused by a vehicle driving over the plug while it lay on the ramp. This is not an uncommon occurrence. The short caused severe arcing in the plug when it was connected to the aircraft and switched on. It was this occurrence that was witnessed by the ground maintenance engineer.

G-AYIM, HS 748-2A, Emerald Airways

Incident/Accident Date: 1996-07-06

Report No: 1998-001, Published: 1998-02-13

Image by: OWL

The accident was notified to the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) by Dublin Air Traffic Control at 0110 hours on the 6 July 1996. An AAIU Inspector arrived on scene at 0200 hours on the same day. The aircraft, which was on a scheduled cargo flight from Liverpool, landed on Runway 28 at Dublin Airport at 0100 hours and taxied to Stand 55 on the South Apron. Having brought the aircraft to a stop, the cockpit crew commenced their shutdown drills, which included a 30 second temperature stabilisation with engines at idling speed. During this time the marshaller approached from in front of the aircraft and chocked the nose wheel. Having chocked this wheel, a witness observed the marshaller walking backwards in an arc, giving a thumbs-up to the cockpit as he did so. Seconds later, the marshaller came in contact with the idling port propeller and received fatal injuries to his head. None of the witnesses present observed the actual propeller strike to the marshaller.
Records 491 to 500 of 500